Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
glo
glo
Contributing MemberPosts: 981
Like?
Re: ^ This. For a new photographer, I always recommend a 50mm prime over the mid-range
In reply to xjassa, Dec 17, 2012

xjassa wrote:

3) As mentioned, learning to compose properly without using a zoom as a crutch will go a long way towards improving photography. Then when you move to a mid-range zoom, your skills will be honed.

user_name wrote:

That being said, there is a lot of value in a 50mm prime, particularly as a learning aid as it teaches you composure. You can zoom with your feet most of the time.

xiassa and user,

I would agree with most of what you said. I've heard others say that a prime is better than a zoom to learn composition skills. And although I understand what that means, I respectfully disagree. In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether someone uses a prime or a zoom to learn good composition, in fact I would argue that one can learn good composition technique faster using a zoom. A zoom makes it easy to see what the choices are in framing the shot and to a beginner that's not about being lazy. After someone has experience with a zoom, I believe they'll be a better judge about which prime they should get when they're ready to purchase one.

I'm not suggesting you guys are wrong, I'm just sharing a different POV.

glo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow