Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eric Boe
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?
RX-100 adequate, but not magical
Dec 17, 2012

While I post most often to other forums, I thought I would chime in here with personal experiences with my RX-100.

After reading countless reviews and user reports on how wonderful the RX-100 was, I decided to try one for a vacation camera.  I wanted something very small and light to fit in very limited luggage space.  The micro-USB charge port was the final decision maker, as I could share one charger across all of my devices, again saving luggage space.

Rather than repeat praise, I will point to shortcomings and work-arounds.  Some of these are user-technique issues, others are tied to hardware and/or firmware.

1)  Firmware concern:  When in Intelligent Auto mode, the camera will prefer lower ISOs and lower shutter speeds in low light.  Solution: shift to a different mode, or use something to stabilize the camera.  Still, a different bias in the firmware, or a menu setting, would have been nice.

2)  Firmware concern:  When in Intelligent Auto mode, the camera focuses on whatever is nearest, not most central to the frame, and there is no setting to change this.  Solution: shift to a different mode.  An option in firmware to allow for selecting the focus mode in Intelligent Auto would be appreciated.

3)  Firmware concern:  When in Intelligent Auto mode, the camera meters on whatever is brightest, not most central to the frame, and there is no setting to change this.  Solution: shift to a different mode.  An option in firmware to allow for selecting the metering pattern in Intelligent Auto would be appreciated.

4)  Firmware and/or hardware concern:  I used a brand new Verbatim class-10 233x card in the camera and had the video mode crash out after about 8 minutes.  Solution:  try a different brand of card.

5)  Hardware concern:  I charged the camera one week before my trip, and when I pulled it out for the first use, the battery was depleted.  Possible defective camera.  Note that the camera would last through a full day if I pulled it off the charger first thing in the morning.  Solution:  warranty claim.

Net results:  about 20% throw aways, which is noticeably worse than with previous S90 and S100 cameras, at least in my hands.

Would I buy the camera again?  Maybe not, but at least it will remind me of good user technique habits.

Eric

Canon PowerShot S90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow