qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 8,298Gear list
Like?
Re: A few 7D images w/various lens
In reply to Kevin G., Dec 17, 2012

Kevin G. wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Congrats Kevin, excellent photos!

1.6x TC? I believe you mean 1.4x TC from EXIF. Do you consider getting 100-400L especially when mark II version released next year probably? 400mm on 1.6x crop is noticeable more reach than 300mm. Also it always has a bit of IQ penalty with TC.

-- hide signature --

Hello,

Thanks! Yes, I meant 1.4x! Mixing up my crop factors with TC.

I'll have to check out the new 100-400. I've seen so many excellent photos with the older version, and I would prefer a zoom if the quality equaled the 300mm. You're right, I don't often use the 1.4 TC too much especially for BIF, not so much for the IQ hit, but the focus speed slows down considerably. I wonder if the new lens will be the same size/weight as the older version?

The current 100-400 is $1400 with instant rebate at this moment. It's pretty sharp (except some issues in early batches). The main problem is its 2-stop old-school 'IS'. A better 'IS" is very helpful when I shoot in airshows on prop-driven airplanes. I found it's a bit challenge with current version to have sharp photos when shutter is at or below 1/250. The new version will have 4-stop 'IS' and be a bit faster at 100mm side (f4.0 instead of 4.5) and change from push-pull to rotate zooming. I actually like push-pull zooming as it allows me very quickly zoom without accidentally moving pointing angle much that unavoidably will have more from rotate zooming at 400mm. But push-pull may suck in dusts that have not happened to my copy yet.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/12/2013-the-year-for-400mm-lenses-cr1/

Thanks for your compliment on my Bronx Zoo photos.

Thanks!

Kevin

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow