Anyone else like tele macro? what lens do you use?

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shunda77
Senior MemberPosts: 1,674Gear list
Like?
Anyone else like tele macro? what lens do you use?
Dec 17, 2012

I loved doing a bit of tele macro with my old manual zoom fuji superzoom.

The problem was the inevitable issues with small sensors, low light and bokeh etc (which can still look ok at times).

The great thing about using a tele lens for macro is it opens up subject matter that you can't get physically closer to (or you don't want to) and is a great way to enjoy your own garden or that of someone else in a 'walk around' context.

My question is, what lenses do people use to do to do this? I have discovered that of the popular DX zooms (55-200vr, 55-300vr, 70-300vr, Tamron 70-300vc) the 55-300vr is theoretically the best for macro as it has the highest magnification ratio and 9 rounded aperture blades helping to create good bokeh.

Are there any other good options for DX that don't cost the earth?

I am currently using the 55-200vr, but this (apparently) has the worst magnification ratio of the 4 lenses listed above, I am still wrestling with which new lens to ask Santa for!

Any tips or advice on other lenses and tele-macro photography in general with DX would be greatly appreciated!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow