Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,055Gear list
Like?
My three favourite 'WOW' lenses + PICS
In reply to joger, Dec 17, 2012

joger wrote:

Philippe R wrote:

Hi you all,

I have read a post on someone looking for a lens that produces a "wow" factor.....

So let's have it, what do you consider a lens with a definite "wow" effect

Please specify the lens, the body it's used on, and of course your use...

Include examples if you had some handy

For me two lenses stand out (and I would only like to comment lenses that I own)

1st one is the 135 f/2.0 L USM which produces a fantastic bokeh and exceptional sharpness wide open - just love this lens!

I own and use 7 L-Lenses.  But there's only three that I am particularly fond of.

​Canon EOS-M with the 135mm f/2.0L USM lens ​- this little Native Bee is HALF the size of the common European honeybee.  I like that this lens can shoot Closeups like this as well as act as decent Portrait lens... or more.

I really like the Canon 135mm f/2.0L Lens.  It's quite a flexible lens as well because you can use it for Closeup shots as well as portraits or simply street walking use.  What you'll find limiting is that it's by no means wide... especially on a 1.6x crop camera... resulting in something like 216mm.  These three lenses all have different strengths and weaknesses.  The most versatile is probably the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM.  Fantastic for closeups, product photography, insects and animals, portraits and even landscapes requiring a tight angle.  The I.S. is very effective on the 100mm and the results are superb optically.  Manual focus with this lens is sometimes recommended due to the shallow DOF up close if shooting Macro.

The 135mm still allows me some very nice Closeup work but for indoor use it's limited in range due to the 135mm focal.  The 50mm is a spectacular lens for those who want to shoot indoors without a flash and it's a little soft in lowlight when shooting wide open sometimes... but it's much more useable than the 85mm alternative ... especially when employed for indoor use.  It can certainly produce some razor sharp images.  I'm playing with the EOS-M at the moment using these lenses so my examples below reflect this.  I wish DPreview would allow for larger images to be posted rather than these compressed examples that are barely much larger than a thumbnail.

*  Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 IS Macro USM ​(the most useful and flexible for portraits & macro)

*  Canon EF 135mm f/2.0 USM (always gorgeous results due to the Bokeh.  Amazing portraits!)

*  Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM (stunningly useful in low light without flash)

These three lenses make photography "fun" for me.  It's a pleasure to use any and each of these lenses on a variety of cameras. They are equally at home on either a 1.6x crop or a Full Frame DSLR and the results are almost always universally excellent.

If I had to live with only one of these lenses, I believe that the 100mm f/2.8L Macro would be the most flexible.  But I do love the 50mm f/1.2L and, even though it is more limited for closeups.  Of all three lenses, the results from the 135mm f/2.0 is the most impressive.  This lens is really a gem.  In my opinion it's a must-have for DSLR users who enjoy their photography for the art's sake.

(These images were all shot in JPEG, not RAW.)

​EOS-M + EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

-- hide signature --

--
Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow