Canon 24-105 Lens Test - Sample Photos

Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
BRUCEK56
Contributing MemberPosts: 788Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 24-105 Lens Test - Sample Photos
In reply to Ben Jamin C, Dec 17, 2012

Hi,

Definitely test it wide open first. Be sure to check the corners that even if they are a little soft at F4 which is normal that it is somewhat uniform around the frame and does not extend too far into the picture frame.

I just went through HUGE problems with my 24-105 lens that I sent to Canon to get refurbished. It was 7 years old and needed to be refreshed.

I paid 408.00 and it came back in as new condition. However after testing it it was very sharp in the center but extremely soft in the corners that extended far into the frame.

To make a long story short I ended up sending it back a total of four times (twice with my 1DX body).

After getting special handling and a supervisor and their best lens technician at their Virginia facility it was determined they could not repair the lens. They ended up shipping me a new lens (actually a late model refurb).

The new lens was completely different than my original returned lens. It was up to factory specs and I am very pleased with it.

While it is true you need to go out and take "normal' pictures to see how it behaves I do believe the newspaper test is important.

My defective lens was extremely sharp in the center even at F4 but horrendous in the corners that extended too far into the frame. I do mostly portrait type work so it took me awhile to see the problem with the corners.

I only first noticed it with group shots where the the left and right people on the sides were very blurry and it finally took me to the newspaper test to figure out precisely what the problem was. I sent 100% crops of these examples to Canon each time I sent the camera in but they still couldn't fix it.

I will always do the newspaper test now before testing any new lens in the field just so I have a baseline understanding of how the lens is supposed to perform.

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK56

BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow