new kit. low light stills and action video.

Started Dec 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bjorn_L
Senior MemberPosts: 4,457Gear list
Like?
Re: new kit. low light stills and action video.
In reply to jojo81, Dec 17, 2012

jojo81 wrote:

Thank you Bjorn, that's a lot of great info, I wish the full frame was in my price range but realistically I'll need a winning lottery ticket first. If I can try and summarise to make sure I've understood you, Panasonic for video (I'd probably go second hand on a gh2/ gh3 they seem pretty pricy, well certainly the gh3 is beyond me new)

For purely stills and manual focus on video, the d7000 had good low light capabilities and is weather sealed. Nikon have a good collection of lenses and accessories for when my skill and passion require more kit or upgrades etc. The full frame d600 would be the same but better in low light.

For what I want I think the d7000 would sound best from those suggestions, could you recommend a good large aperture lens to pair with it or a good place to go for lens reviews on the camera?

Thank you

Hi again,

there are many good places for lens reviews, DPR has many lenses reviewed.

Depending on what you are going to use the lens for (specifically) would change what lens I would recommend.  So a few general comments and maybe you will find what you were looking for in the mess.

For general photography with decent focus speed (fast enough to catch bowling balls in the air), the Nikon 35mm f1.8g is a decent low cost all-arounder.  It is both excellent optically, cheap, and a very useful focal length.

The Nikon 50mm f1.8g is supposedly Nikon's fastest focusing 50mm lens.  I suspect that the Sigma 50mm 1.4 might be faster still.  The Nikon 50mm f1.4g is excellent optically, wonderful in low light, but  slow focusing.  Those that have used the 1.8g are very fond of it.  It is a little bit more telephoto and depening on distance to subject it or an 85mm would be good for basketball or wrestling.

The Nikon 85mm f1.8g is a really nice lens.  I like it.  I have not used it much but it seemed decently fast focusing.  The Sigma 85mm f1.4 is also fast focusing but much more expensive.  I like the 85mm focal length for things like plays where I will be a little distance from the stage.

Other odd-balls.

The Sigma 20mm f1.8 is the widest angle f1.8 lens you can buy for DX or FX.  On DX it is an interesting FL just at the edge of the normal range on FX it is a rather wide angle lens.

The Sigma 24 & 28mm f1.8 lenses are both optically "ok" and can be had really cheaply used.  I like these more than the 20mm optically but kept the 20mm instead as the FL is more interesting.  All three of these are FX.

Nikon 28mm f1.8g.  On DX I prefer this lens over even the very nice 35mm f1.8g.  I find this FL compliments the 50mm better since the 35 & 50 can feel a little close.  It is a relatively new lens and fairly costly.  It is FX in case you later upgrade

Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is the only large aperture wide angle for DX.  Plus it is optically really nice.

Sports

The Sigma 50-150 f2.8 HSM II (not the newer OS version) is small, and optically very good.  Fast focusing.  Good consumer level sports lens.  Corresponds to the same FOV as a 70-200 on a full-frame.

The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 (again older version, not newer OS version).  Is a little smaller then then Nikon 70-200 and around 1/2 the price (used vs used).  I found this very nice for soccer and track and field.  Not super-duper at 200mm, but decent given the price.

The Nikon 70-200vr1 (older version, not the newer vr2 model).  This lens is a dream.  It is almost instant focusing.  It is weather sealed (I have used mine in a moonsoon).  Optically it is close to perfect on a DX.  Minor viginetting on FX, but not enough so that it bothers me.

If you want to shoot sports from a distance, the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 is pretty good.  I do not own one.  But I have used one and plan to eventually add one.  Probably the newer OS version since that is weather sealed.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow