Fill Flash, Nikons Achiles heel Can anybody advise me please??

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Douglas Boyd
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
Like?
Set the flash to Auto mode Re: Fill Flash, Nikons Achiles heel Can anybody advise me please??
In reply to mike concannon, Dec 17, 2012

Dear Mike,

I am another example of a Nikon user who has struggled for years to get fill light to work correctly.  In my case I struggled with D2X, D90, and now D800.  Usually, I would end up using manual mode for flash and camera (this is basically the Strobist technique).  But it is very fiddly since you have to find the correct exposure of flash and background experimentally by taking a number of test shots.

I found a great simplification is to simply to abandon TTL-flash altogether, and use the older, tried-and-true method of the flashes built-in auto mode.  In this mode, the flash unit measures (not through the lens, but on the flash unit's own sensor) the reflected flash light coming back and turns it off when the correct amount is received.  This gets you out of all the insane (and probably flawed) programming in the camera that tries to deal with flash compensation.  You can let the camera simply expose using any of PASM and dial in compensation if you wish to darken the background independently of flash.  So you get auto-exposure and can use the flash to fill to any degree you choose just by dialing the flash compensation.   And you don't have to study hundreds of pages of manuals and guide books, and fiddle with a bunch of menu settings (and then remember to reset them back afterwards).

Whenever, I suggest using flash in Auto mode I get attacked on these boards by the lovers of TTL flash.

Reading this thread, and the associated reference articles, it's hard to see how the Nikon fan-boys can continue to claim fill-in flash not only works well on Nikon, but is also a "feature"......

-- hide signature --

==Doug

Douglas Boyd's gear list:Douglas Boyd's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Ricoh RDC-7 Nikon D70s Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 +38 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow