My Rebel sucks. I suck. Should I upgrade?

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Questions thread
paparios
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
Re: My Rebel sucks. I suck. Should I upgrade?
In reply to LuminousBits, Dec 17, 2012

LuminousBits wrote:

The photos from my Canon S90 are way better than those from my Rebel XTi. Should I get a new body? Or maybe I just need to improve my skills?

In a recent trip to Iceland I used the Rebel with a Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS or a Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS attached to the camera. In several spots, I also used the S90. When comparing them, the S90 shots are better exposed and seems to have a wider range of tones. Is my Rebel malfunctioning? I have tried Auto, P, M, and I just cannot get good shots when compared to the S90 in low light situations (like cloudy, outdoors). Did I accidentally press a ``make crummy photos'' menu item?

I'm also disappointed on how the Rebel performs in low light when compared to the S90.

Should I get a new camera?

I still have and use the XTi, together with my 50D, 7D and 5DMKII. I have it with the 400Plus firmware enhancement, which for all practical purposes, converts it to the 40D features (it appears the XTi has many of the 40D features but disabled). The IQ of the XTi is very high and its usability with the 400Plus firmware is also very good.

Two examples follow. It is clear the lenses are far more important than the bodies.

Miguel

paparios's gear list:paparios's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow