Help Buying an External Flash for the Canon T2i.

Started Dec 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
Re: Help Buying an External Flash for the Canon T2i.
In reply to BobT, Dec 16, 2012

BobT wrote:

Would it be possible to explain just how you set a manual flash....such as your 383?

What do you need to know, and what sort of settings are there to manipulate?

Just a brief how-to would be VERY helpful and much appreciated. Thank you.

A simple way to set a manual flash is to remember the formula:  GN = f X y where GN is the guide number of your flash, f = f/stop, and y = subject distance. Most manual flashes have a table on the back of the flash for calculating the proper aperture at various distances.  Select a shutter speed less than the camera's FP Synch speed (1/200 sec for Canon Rebels) and fast enough to freeze the action.  For a person sitting in a chair, use at least 1/30 sec SS.  For a group of people standing still, use 1/60 to 1/125 sec. SS.  If antsy children are involved, use 1/200 sec SS.  Keep in mind that the faster the shutter speed, the darker the background will be.

For example:

A Sunpak Digital Flash with a GN 52 (ft) or 16 (m) were used to take a number of sample shots. This is a very small and cheap flash that has a exposure table on its back panel as shown below.

The flash is mounted in a FZ-10 and the flash-subject distance is 6 feet. Since the GN at ISO 100 is 52, the lens aperture should be 52/6 = F8.7 to yield well-exposed results. If the ISO is set to 50, the lens aperture should be 1 stop larger (i.e., F6+) to compensate the slower ISO speed. The above table shows approximately the same results.

More info here:  http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-10/Ext-Flash/Flash-Manual-Mode.html

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow