Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Markus Stenberg
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
Best hiking tele for birds or whatever?
Dec 16, 2012

When hiking, 24-105 (on full frame) fills most of my needs. But sometimes I feel like I need something longer, and I frequently pack 70-200 f/2.8 IS (mark 1) with 1.4 extender along, just in case.

However, I don't really need the zoom of 70-200, and probably not even IS - these are entirely daylight cases. The reach (on full frame) is lacking, though. I'm mostly talking about random birds, animals and other skittish things that I can't get close enough to with 24-105.

_Is_ there some better full-frame alternative with say, <= 2kg lens weight? 70-200 mark 2 would be obviously an improvement, but just in IQ, not in reach, so I think I'll skip that. Anything else?

Or should I consider switching back to crop factor just for hiking? I think there's plenty of options _there_ (EF-S, and the other crop formats) with fairly lightweight glass and ok reach. I have some lenses and EF-S crop body still in reserve, but I'd rather not. I'm loving the 5Dm3 results in general from my hikes ;-> Poor thing is getting some serious abuse though, but as long as it doesn't break, you're not playing (too) hard!

-- hide signature --

See profile for equipment (or lack of it). Ask about fun software

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow