Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lasse Eisele
Senior MemberPosts: 1,616
Like?
I'm at the crossroads, anybody else?
Dec 16, 2012

I ordered a D800 last spring. After nearly two months of waiting, I cancelled the order when I realised that I probably wouldn't get the camera in time for the summer season. Instead, I bought a used Panasonic G3 for peanuts (already had two m4/3 bodies and a couple of lenses), thinking I would get the D800 this autumn.
But I started getting second thoughts. The last few years, I have hardly used my Nikon DSLR gear at all. I love my D300 when I actually use it, but it tends to stay at home. I pick my mirrorless cameras instead. Much less weight, much less bulk. I can take them anywhere, whether I plan to take pictures or not. I can keep two bodies, a couple of lenses and a lightweight tripod in a very small backpack and hardly notice the burden. A ride on the bicycle, a walk in the nearby forest or a visit to some friend or relative – I can always bring some camera gear without feeling the need to actually use it. And I've been able to do so with little penalty with regards to image quality. Even the often ridiculed Nikon 1 V1 is a powerful image maker, in my opinion, particularly with the lovely little 30-110 mm tele zoom.
I'm also a devoted hiker and, needless to say, weight is important when your backpack already weighs in at 20-30 kg, before adding any camera gear.
A D800 (or D600) would undoubtedly offer much better image quality and significant extra cropping room. But do I really need it? I have been debating this for a couple of months now. Still haven't made up my mind.
I'm not really asking for advice but I'd love to hear your opinions or just some creative input. How many of you have ever considered leaving the DSLR world for the much smaller mirrorless cameras?

Just to add some perspective, here are some of my mirrorless images from the year (as always, the images look better if you click on "original size":

Frosty landscape close to my home

Elephant keeper, Jaipur, India

Wild tiger, Ranthambore NP, India

Sunset in Lapland

After sunset in Lapland

Sarek NP, Lapland, late August

Adventurous hike in Sarek, Lapland

Lately, I'm more and more into semi-abstract. A few samples:

Tulip, extreme crop (yes, there is noise...)

Reed (with 10 stop ND filter)

Two images blended, one sharp and one with deliberate camera shake (extreme crop)

Maybe the D800 is overkill for me? Or maybe my images are already so good that I don't really need a better camera?
Regards
Lasse

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow