D800E & my under powered computer

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ffnikclif
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?
Re: D800E & my under powered computer
In reply to soloryb, Dec 16, 2012

When I bought my D800 I knew going in I was going to have to get a new computer with lots more horse power. My mac Pro was 6 years old & was about worn out. I switced back to a PC & ordered the parts that I thought would be what I need & built my own PC. If you want your PC to blaze away there is much more than memory that need to be addressed. Start with a new motherboard that will handle Ivy bridge & an 1155 CPU Quad core. Get an SSD for your start up hard drive & add a couple of large hard drives for storage. At least 16 GB ram. Add a good GPU for your video & get a good cooler for your CPU to keep it running at a low operating temp when you are processing large files. Throw in a power unit at least 750 watts  rated gold or higher. With an OS & new mouse & keyboard you can build this for about 2K. This is a much better system that my Mac pro which cost about 7,500.oo. Took about three hours to build. This is my first build. From turned off to be in a program working takes about 10 seconds. That includes signing on. Your mileage may very.

Fred

ffnikclif's gear list:ffnikclif's gear list
Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow