ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DimitriDV
Regular MemberPosts: 271
Like?
Confusion with equivalent focal lengths, SEL18-200mm and SAL70-300mm
Dec 16, 2012

Hello all,

I found a cheap Minolta lens which is basically (as I understand) the same as the SAL 70-300mm, which I might want to buy to use with my Nex-6 (with adapter). Link to data about the lens I'd get

Now, I was trying to compare it with the E-mount lenses, such as the SEL18-200 and SEL55-210, to understand what results in terms of zooming I would have with my photos, and am getting confused to say the least, even if I thought I understood the theory about focal lengths, crop factor etc..

The question I want to answer is: with these two lenses, do I get the same image at maximum zoom? or does the SAL70-300 result in a bigger subject in my final image?

My confusion derives from the "35mm equivalent" data I read on the web.

For the SEL18-200 (lens for APS-C camera) I read: "APS-C only, and will only mount on E body cameras.  With crop factor of 1.5x the coverage equals 27-300mm."

For the SAL70-300 (lens for 35mm camera) I read: "Full frame and APS-C.   APS-C equivalent, 112-450mm"

Does the above mean that 18-200mm is the 35mm equivalent? Or is the APS-C equivalent value (112-450mm) wrong as I would expect then to divide by 1,5 instead of multiply?

Thanks,

Dimitri

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow