Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Miguel Rodríguez
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
Canon 70-300 IS USM non-l vs 70-200 IS Mk1 vs Mk2
Dec 16, 2012

Just wanted to share my experience with you people and see if anybody else had a similar situation with this three super different prize range lenses.

I used to have a canon 70-300 IS USM 4-5.6 non-l and I was happy with absolutely everything about this lens but the focus speed, So I decided to sell it in adorama (BTW they gave me 150 $ for it)  but not before taking some shots in my Manfrotto to compare later with my new 70-200 f2.8L IS USM Mk1. Surprise, the 70-200 mk1 was not even close in sharpness, yes it has a little bit of more CA and distortion in the 70-300, but just a tiny bit, definitely not a better lens. Then I said, this is another bad copy, So I asked a friend of mine with a copy he owns for long time and he is very happy with and we exchanged, wow again, my friend came with the same conclusion.

Finally I returned the 70-200 mk1 and got a mk2, this is in another level, superb in every single aspect, but I would expect similar from the mk1 for 1.6K $. Now the questions I have:

1. Is the 70-300 really that good lens?? My non scientific conclusions tell me the upgrade does not worth unless you are living on photography or you really really need a superb and fast AF.
  2. Why so many professional expended the last 10 years having orgasms with the 70-200 mk1 IQ?? is there any kind of addictive secret component in the red ring, the cream color or something?? 
  3. Is there any possibility of a weird combination of a great copy of my 70-300 and two really bad copies of my 70-200's??

I was using a 5d mk2.

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow