wide angle lenses for DX

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
HRonen
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
Re: wide angle lenses for DX
In reply to Brev00, Dec 16, 2012

Brev00 wrote:

Typically, I just buy a lens, try it out, and keep it. In the case of my ultrawide purchase, I first bought a Sigma 10-20 as usual. But, when I tried it out both in real world and lens test shots, I found it lacking sharpness and contrast. I did not try any other copies. I returned it. More cautiously, I rented the Nikon 12-24. I was leery of buying a used lens for more than the cost of the new Sigma. I did not like the results. Again, I was not going to draw any conclusions about the quality of the lens. Probably another bad copy or just the worse for wear. So, I bought the Tokina 12-24 dx II from ebay. The seller sent me the original version. I returned it. I then bought the 12-24 II new and have lived happily ever after. I knew it was good from the first shot and my testing and real world shots have been fine. I never have had so much trouble buying a lens so I hope this process is not repeated the next time around. But, I always buy with the assurance of a good return policy.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00,

Thanks for responding. The process you described seems more tedious than looking for a proper wife.. Glad that everything was sorted out.

Last week I purchased a used lens for the first time in my life. It is coming from KEH with a condition described as +EX so hopefully it will get a soft landing here.

Haim

HRonen's gear list:HRonen's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow