Congrats to "TOF guy"!

Started Dec 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
FtoDin5min
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list
Like?
Re: Now for the Bad News...
In reply to Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D., Dec 16, 2012

Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D. wrote:

Dpreview is a million dollar subsidiary of Amazon, (?). A business ... (smiling) ... Ok. So we now have "known" moderators. Good, (although personally, on a philosophical level, I disagree with moderation, since it can stifle free speech). Hate speech is not, nor has it ever been "protected".

Dpreview is now US based and subject to American law, (and it's potential liabilities). So, share with me ... what power does a moderator have? Is it singular: the ability to ban and remove a post, or does it require concurrence by a fellow moderator? Is there a written moderator policy? (If I were a moderator, I would damn well want one to cover my butt, and not be collateral damage should Dpreview be sued.) If so, where is it? What appeal mechanisms are in place, in case a pilgrim feels he/she was banned because they are a member of a "protected class", (not because of their speech)?

I have no doubt, "moderation" is a necessary evil, (given some of the posts I have seen here). My advice, (given Dpreview is a deep pocket), tread lightly and document your decisions. Push comes to shove ... you will be on your own. Business is business ... and chickens is chickens. BTW: a judgement taken against you in America, once registered, is enforceable in Japan.

KarlT

-- hide signature --

Karl H.Timmerman M.A.J.D.
BLOG: http://www.karltimmerman.com/Ramblings/
'The best part of taking the moral highground ...... is the view'.

(chuckling)...

-- hide signature --

FTD5

FtoDin5min's gear list:FtoDin5min's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Higuma MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow