Any ideas on how well Fuji X series are selling?

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
mbb101
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Re: Japan Market Share
In reply to rattymouse, Dec 16, 2012

rattymouse wrote:

Rod McD wrote:

Hi,

I don't know what you can make of the survey done as the XE1 came out. It probably means that the survey only took into account XP1 and X100 sales (unless it took all compacts and bridge cameras into account too - it depends how one defines "mirrorless" and I don't know how they defined it.) To be honest the 2% figure doesn't surprise me if it was based on just the XP1 and X100. They're two premium models only and at the top end of the market prices.

Of the annual financial reports....... On the face of it, it does sound surprising, but I don't know how to interpret it and what it means to Fuji's investors.

Rod

I believe that they counted just the X Pro 1 in that survey, so yeah a low showing is to be expected, but 2% seems a bit too low.

Regarding the Imaging Solutions division of Fujifilm, I guess Fuji's investors are comfortable propping up a money losing business, for whatever reason.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

I've just looked at the financials of Fujifilm Holdings and it does appear that they have lost money for some time. However this would appear to probably be related to the severe decline in  analogue products such as film and photographic papers. If you consider that Fuji is  a major player in the graphic arts industry and imaging techniques have changed radically over the last ten years then one can see that Fuji has been managing a  massive change in their markets. In 2009 they had a double digit loss of revenue due to reduction in film and paper usage. It appears that Fuji have managed that rather better than Kodak for instance with their losses in the imaging division amounting to only about 3% of their total profit in the last year.

It should also be borne in mind as the film business is an old technology then the R&D and capital costs in the future are going to be very low therefore it is likely that the business will have strong positive cash flows which can be used to finance the more innovative and profitable side of their business.

Finally it may be that the camera and lense business  is very  profitable and it is the film business which is incurring the losses. Given the way that the company have emphasised the success of the X series cameras in their most recent revenue statement then it seems likely that Fuji will be investing more not less  in digital imaging.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow