Shooting video of skiing holiday - new K5 II???

Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
birdseed007
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Shooting video of skiing holiday - new K5 II???
Dec 16, 2012

Hi folks,

I have been a long time Pentax user and enthusiastic amateur with a range of Pentax lenses.  I currently use a Pentax Ist DS DSLR the primary purpose of which is to record my Daughter (currently aged 7) as she grows up.  I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ3 for more portable applications but frnakly find I use it less and less because the results - colour balance and grain do not meet my needs - in short the Ist DS blows the Lumix into the weeds...

To shoot family video I currently have a panasonic mini DV based 3xCCD camera but although this is easy to use and the results are good I find the hassle factor of carrying a DSLR and a video camera just too much to lug around.  The result is that I only take the DSLR and we're not shooting nearly enough of my Daughter's precious childhood.  In addition I find the hassle of having to plug the video-camera into the computer in order to transcode the film to AVI is also a hassle I no longer want.

So my thoughts have turned to the Pentax K5 and K5 II as a possible replacement for both.  I guess what I'm looking for is the ability to take one camera for photo and video and to be able to drag and drop photos and videos to our home media server which is accessible to all PC's in the house and also all the blu-ray players for watching on TV.

So the question - I have little doubt that the K5 will do all I want and more in terms of shooting photos but my concerns are around video.  I have a friend with a Canon system (EOS 5 I think) who does use his DSLR for video but I gather Canon have always been the best in this respect.  Some questions:

Do I need a K5/K5II or is the K30 adequate?  What benefits are there to getting the K5 II

Is the K5 II worth the extra over the K5 (I gather the main benefit is faster focus-obviously good for video)

Will I need an external mic or is the one on board the DSLR good enough?

Do you feel the Pentax DSLR's are at the point technically where they can replace a dedicated video camera??

We're going skiing on 29th Dec and so I would really like to get this sorted out by then - important family photo opportunity!!

Many many thanks to all of you for your input.

Birdseed007

Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow