Flat view
Digetydog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,260Gear list
Like?
Nikon 1 - Value Proposition and Sports Pictures
Dec 16, 2012

That is Basketball HOF'r Larry Brown coaching up the SMU Mustangs

SMU v. URI

Many people complain about what the Nikon 1 system cameras cannot do. While not unreasonable, they fail to take into account what the Nikon 1 cameras can do. Both of these shots were taken handheld with my J1 and the 30-110 kit lens.

While I have a D7000 and a 70-200mm VR1 for shooting sports pictures indoors, many venues frown on bringing "professional" equipment into their arenas. According to the people running the URI arena, my setup would not have been allowed.

But, my little J1 with 2 kit lenses was OK. While certainly not professional, the shots were a million times better than I would have gotten with a compact camera. Frankly, the low light performance of the little J1 probably would have outperformed my old D60 with a 55-200mm mounted up. The main "problem" I had with my J1 was framing action shots without an EVF. Otherwise, I was happy with what I got with very little effort.

Tomorrow, we are taking my little girl to NYC to shop for her Christmas present. Instead of my heavy D7K kit, my little J1 with the 10-30mm will be taking pictures of Rockefeller Center and FAO Schwartz.  The size of the camera and its lenses make it a very nice system for walking around.

Bu

Digetydog's gear list:Digetydog's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow