ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mikeywcu
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
Oly 17mm 1.8 OR PL 25mm 1.4?
Dec 15, 2012

Hey guys,

With my E-1 and E-3, I used zooms, but with the OMD, I'm (slowly) investing in primes because of the simplicity and optical performance. I'm definitely getting one of these lenses in the next month, but I'm really torn between the two. I have an OMD, 45mm 1.8, and 60mm 2.8 Macro.

I'd like to get either the 35mm or the 50mm for an all-around lens as well as for family and couples portraits. Right now I use the 45mm for individual portraits and the 60mm for macros (obviously). Here are the pros and cons I can see:

PL 25mm:

Pros: 1.4, Great Reviews (razor sharp lens from what I read), Good standard focal length, Black color to match my OMD

Cons: Plastic construction, large size, clicking aperture blades, not sure how the AF performs

Oly 17mm:

Pros: Metal construction (which is nice), quite small, wider (but is it too wide?), very fast AF (again, from what I've read)

Cons: Not a ton of reviews yet, possibly too wide for my needs (all around lens, and family/couples portraits), 1.8 vs. 1.4, silver color

I'm sure there are some things that I'm missing here since I've never actually seen either of these lenses in person, so any input is welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

Mikeywcu's gear list:Mikeywcu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow