Started Dec 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fft81
Contributing MemberPosts: 896
Like?
Digital vs Film LENSES
Dec 15, 2012

I asked the 35mm digital vs MF/LF film benefits question in different forum. One of the answers was that the oldschool MF/LF film lenses outclass even the newer nikon/cannon primes.

My question here is: Is that true?

What is special about old MF/LF lenses? I would think that their resolving power in terms of LPPMM is actually lower than the nikon/cannon digital counterparts. How about the resolving power in terms of line pairs per image height? I can see how with 4x5 or 8x10 Film one can get better resolution on film than 35mm sensor, but do the MF/LF lenses actually have better total resolution or do they just blow up same/lower resolution image on bigger surface?

Cannon/Nikon/Zeiss top out at about 40 LPPMM (line pairs per millimeter) which is about 40x24=1400 LP per image height. How would 8x10 or 4x5 lens stack up? For example if LF lens can deliver 10 lppmm on the film plane that would translate to 10x25.4x4=1016 line pairs per image height on a 4x5 film.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow