ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
willo78
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Help with Star Trails
Dec 15, 2012

Hi all,

I went out on an unsuccessful photo session last night, only in my back garden, just to test a few things. I am trying to improve my technique for star trails, here is my current setup:

1) D800

2) ISO 100

3) 16-35mm at widest aperture (f4)

4) Manual mode

5) Shutter speed 30 seconds

6) Interval timer: set to trigger ever 35 seconds (to cover my 30 second shutter speed). I tested with 100 shots last night, the results are very dark, can't see much to be honest. I wanted to use a low ISO to maximise image quality. I also set it to 30 seconds since this is the longest should speed I can set (without using BULB mode). Most people online seemed to recommend 30 seconds for interval shooting star trails.

To be honest, I haven't processed the images at all, they currently look very dark in Lightroom. Should I be using a much higher ISO? I did initially used 6400 in order to tweak focus whilst setting up. Or, do I need to invest in a shutter release cable that includes interval timer settings, such as the Nikon MC-36? I guess I could then set longer should speeds and interval time them for multiple shots?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow