How to decide between a 6D and 7D?

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Questions thread
Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,228Gear list
Like?
Either one will work for all that.
In reply to darkcitrine, Dec 15, 2012

4.5 frames per second (fps) is not too slow for moving subjects. I shoot motorsports with a 1DsMkII and it's only 4.5 fps. I also use a much faster camera, but 4.5 frames is enough to get good results.

What's more important here is the difference in the field of view, because it will effect which lenses you can use to get the framing of subject(s) you are looking for in your final output. The 7D is more like your Sony camera as far as field of view goes. The transition from the Sony to the 7D would be fairly straightforward and you could buy Canon lenses that are of similar focal lengths to those you are using now. The not so great side with the 7D is that the 6D will definitely have better performance at higher ISO values. That's just how technology goes with newer models. Well, that's how it is supposed to go anyway. If you go with the 6D your spending more money for the body and you could end up spending a little more for lenses. But that's not always the case. The same lenses can work for both sensor formats. For example, the Canon 70-200L lenses are almost a must have for sports regardless of the sensor format.

I'd also like to mention that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Are you sure Sony doesn't have something that would work? It could save you a lot of money and hassle if they did.

Just some food for thought.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow