Started Dec 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stig Vidar Hovland
Senior MemberPosts: 1,709
Like?
K-5IIs and K-01
Dec 15, 2012

Here is my Pentax story. It started a long time ago with a Program-A, but I skip that and goes directly to my K-7. It was a fantastic camera and everything I wanted from Pentax. The best thing to happen was when they released K-5, an improved K-7. I sold my K-7 and bought a K-5 almost immediately. My wife is also photographing and I bought a second hand K-x for her. She was using my old *istDS which had its limitations. One day I got hold of a broken and free K-7 and it took me some weeks repairing it. The plan was to sell it, but I decided to sell the K-x instead. That way I could use the K-7 as a spare camera for me while still be a good camera for my wife. But I was lucky once more and got a free K-5. So now I had two K-5's and one K-7 and decided to sell the K-7. Perhaps a mistake as the K-7 was the only camera able to auto focus my FA*400/5,6. Both K-5's didn't like this lens. And my wife really didn't like the K-5 either. It had too many buttons and not an easy to use camera. So when Pentax decided to upgrade K-7 a second time and release K-5 II, I decided to sell both K-5's and buy a K-5 IIs and a yellow K-01. K-5 IIs is simply put a fantastic camera. The AF is so much better than on K-5, but I think it depends a little bit on what kind of lenses you have. The biggest improvement is on faster lenses. DA*55/1,4 is more accurate and FA*400/5,6 (which is not fast) is better than ever. I thought IIs would be easier to sell second hand than K-5 II so that is the reason buying IIs. After some weeks usage I don't regret that decision. I don't find moiré in the pictures and the sharpness is great. And both I and my wife are really enjoying the K-01. Most important, it is easy to use. The "green" mode on K-01 is a lot more advanced and better than green mode on K-5. And my wife loves the simplicity of the green mode. It is using the same battery and charger as my K-5 IIs which is practical. K-01 is not fast to auto focus indoors in low light, but it's not a big problem. She is using my K-5 IIs for that and K-01 for the rest. I find two different cameras as K-01 and K-5 IIs more useful than two similar K-5's. K-5 IIs is good at almost everything, but K-01 is faster and easier to make video with and it is also smaller and lighter to carry with me when a larger camera is not needed.

There are some rumours about Pentax releasing a FF camera next year, but I don't think I am going to buy that one. I don't see how a larger sensor camera can compete with K-5 II and K-01 used together as in my family, but who knows what the future brings.

Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-7 Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow