Coming from a heavy D800 setup here are my thoughts on the RX100/RX1.

Started Dec 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard Spangler
Contributing MemberPosts: 587
Like?
Coming from a heavy D800 setup here are my thoughts on the RX100/RX1.
Dec 15, 2012

I have been using DSLRs for the last 5 years. My current setup is the D800, 70-200 2.8 VRII, 28-300 Nikon, 50 mm 1.8. Sd700. I'm not a pro by any means but love taking pics and love camera gear. The problem is that I'm just tired of lugging all the gear around and I end up leaving it at home more often. Im also tired of changing lenses, deciding which lenses to carry, fine tuning the lenses. After reading many reviews I picked up the RX100 at BB and took it on my 5 day trip to hawaii last week. I was amazed at the quality of pics it took. I took it everywhere I went and took over 300 pics. I have the ipad 4 with the sd card reader and loaded up my pics on the ipad every evening and am blown away by the quality of the rx100. I don't like point and shoot cameras at all. Had a canon elph ds780 and it felt like a toy. The rx100 is in a different league. My only complaints are the following. 1. You can only get good DOP at 28 when're using macro. 2. At 1.8 the lens is fairly soft. 3. No auto ISO in M mode. These are just small complaints compared to the convienance and overall IQ of this camera not to mention portability. It's definitely a keeper.

I decided to purchase the RX1 off Amazon. It arrived this week and I am amazed with the camera. The build quality is top notch, the lens and FF sensor are a  great match. It basically covers the weaknesses I mentioned above in regards to the RX100. I was afraid I could not live without a zoom lens but the iq of the Zeiss prime is great and I am finding its forces me to be a bit more creative. I never expected IS on a high end 35mm prime lens. I don't really shoot video but the Rx100 is more flexible for shooting video although potentially the rx1 can put out more creative stuff with the shallow DOP and 24fps. It's easier to think about what this little camera can do rather then think about what it can't.  I'm hoping the dpreview and dxo review will be out in the next 30 days while I'm in my return window. I don't think it will get a bad review but if so that would bother me somewhat not to mention have a drastic affect on resale value. Also I want to make sure no dust or particles accumulate on the sensor the next 30 days. This is the first camera with a FF sensor and fixed lens. There is plenty of space for dust to get on the sensor and I'm not about to send it in every time. Even if Sony sealed it well there are still particles that can come off the leaf shutter or iris over time.

I think these 2 cameras, although pricy, compliment each other well. I don't shoot sports, action, weddings so I'm wondering how much use my D800 gear will get. I may give it 6 months and if the Nikon doesn't come out of the closet I may sell the gear.

I will try to post some pics over the next week or so.

Composed on my ipad please ignore the typos.

Nikon D800 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow