Dumping the Oly 45mm

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,045Gear list
Like?
Re: Dumping the Oly 45mm
In reply to bowportes, Dec 15, 2012

I bought the 45/1.8 when I had the the GX1, and, being used to the OIS of the 14-42x and the 45-175, found the 45's lack of image stabilization to be a significant downside in low light.  I pretty well had to use at least 1/90 sec. to maintain sharpness, which meant effectively losing the f1.8 aperture advantage (not as far as DOF, of course).

Things changed when I got the OM-D.  I did a series of test shots with the 45mm, IBIS on.  I got acceptable sharpness down to 1/5 sec.  That's a full 5 stops down from the "reciprocal rule" and much better than the 2-3 stops that I get from the Panasonic OIS under the same conditions.  The 45mm really shows its stuff when used on the OM-D.

Having said that, if I had the 12-35, I'm not sure if I'd keep the 45 as well. I don't think sharpness difference is much of an issue.  It would come down to how much I needed/wanted the extra speed and shallower DOF available from the 45.  The lens is small enough and cheap enough that I would probably keep it.

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow