Sensor cleaning on the Alpha SLT-A99

Started Dec 15, 2012 | Questions thread
DutchMM
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
Re: Sensor cleaning on the Alpha SLT-A99
In reply to nail33, Dec 15, 2012

I only have the SLT-A55, but as far as I understand it the sensor/mirror mechanism is the same.  I was convinced I needed a wet clean, for the mirror as well as the sensor.  Contact with a local photographic engineer - whose bread and butter work is repairs for local police and emergency services - persuaded me that a dry clean of the sensor only, provided it was effective, would be enough.  It was also about 1/3 the cost of taking the camera to a real camera shop.  Never mind driving a 300 mile round trip to the Sony repair centre, then paying Sony prices.

His system does involve vacuum, but no contact between the vacuum cleaner and the sensor.  He had no experience with pellicle mirrors since the 70's (apparently, Canon played with them way back when), but on the basis of that we decided that the few marks on the mirror probably wouldn't show up on the photographs; and that has been my experience.

Anyone reading this in West Kent - the hero of this story is Miles Whitehead in Leybourne, West Malling.  15 pounds for the repair, including VAT (sales tax), unbelievable!  Yes, I had to drive 10 miles to deliver the camera to him, and collect it afterwards, but when everything has gone up two or three times since we left the UK in 1998 ....

-- hide signature --

Paypal? Just say "No!"

DutchMM's gear list:DutchMM's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow