Sony Nex 5N LCD looks very dark relative to other cameras' Live View?

Started Dec 15, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ZenPupil
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Sony Nex 5N LCD looks very dark relative to other cameras' Live View?
Dec 15, 2012

Hi all, this forum has been a primary source of information for researching what camera I wanted to step up to. Earlier, I was using a Canon PowerShot SD 780 IS and Nikon D90 but want more pocketability and overall quality.

Now, I have a refurb Sony Nex 5N body adapted to the AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm. Here's an odd thing I'm noticing: the LCD looks very dark, and by that, I mean even in an interior room that is relatively well lit, it's hard to see almost anything at all on the LCD. Unless I point it directly at a light, in which case I see that highlight range represented as intended.

The white info text and photos — after being taken — appear as intended, but it's difficult to compose shots when most everything is so dark. I held the NEX and my old cameras side by side, and even the PowerShot has a much brighter LCD in "Live View".

I've reset factory settings and set LCD Brightness to +2, and it still seems way too dark. Also switched between various modes, and that hasn't substantially helped either, and neither has experimenting with DRO and cranking ISO up — it gets too noisy.

Am I approaching things the wrong way, or is the NEX LCD really intended to work like this? Thanks for your time.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow