Started Dec 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ralf Ronander
Contributing MemberPosts: 739
Like?
D800 LV shutter lag test
Dec 15, 2012

I have in threads concerning LV shortcomings pointed to the shutter lag and have received both questioning and ridicule. So I set out to try to quantify the LV shutterlag compared to OVF shutter lag, and here goes:

I run a counter on the computer and take a series of shots of the screen at a predetermined specific instance every four seconds. The shutter is actuated through wireless remote (since I lack the equipment to automate it), which means that what is measured isnĀ“t the camera actual shutter lag but the total lag involved in this setup. It is however very consistent over a vast number of tests.

With OVF the measured lag gave an average of 88 ms, with LV the merasured lag gave an average of 205 ms. These numbers are just about the double that of the cameras actual shutter lag but the conclusion is clear:
there is a considerably longer shutter lag in LV than with OVF shooting.

This type of setup will give outliers (just like shooting a series of target shots with a rifle):

with OVF the outliers were 66ms and 133 ms, with LV the outliers were 175 ms and 300 ms.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow