ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
marmand14
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Giving Sony a try! - Thoughts
Dec 14, 2012

Hi all.

I've been in and out of photography for many years and thought i would give Sony a try after happily using a Minolta 5d some years back. I have just started using an a200 and am pleasantly surprised by it. I bought it as a body and picked up a used Sony 18-55mm SAM lens but found it soft/blurred on the edges but i guess i must have had a bad copy as the reviews are good?

I looked at replacing it with the Sony 18-70mm but they get bad reviews so i got a mint Sigma 18-50mm HSM OS f2.8-4.5 and i have to say the results so far are (surprisingly) superb, I've had Sigma lenses in the past on Canon mount and they've either been horrible or brilliant!

I'd like users thoughts/pictures on this lens and for my part i'll upload some once i've taken some decent stuff with it.

I also bought for £59 a Sigma 55-200mm (non OS lens) and the images are staggeringly good, i was expecting poor performance but what a dark horse! Again any thoughts/pictures on this lens welcome!

The only points i am struggling with the a200 are:

1. Images seem a little noisy even at low iso

2. Can't quickly and easily adjust the focus points

3. Dynamic range is a bit lacking in contrasty conditions, shadows fill in heavily.

I'm a jpeg shooter and on a budget but i wonder how much of a step up would a a700 be?

Just need some good weather to get out shooting!

Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow