Windows 8

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gary Coombs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,210
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to MrPhotoBob, Dec 14, 2012

I bought a Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T a month ago with Windows 8 on it.  It's a tablet with an attachable keyboard and uses a built in Wacom pen with a next generation IPS (PLS) 1920x1080 11.6" screen.  It uses an i5 processor.  It has a 128 Gb SSD and 4 Gb memory.  When using it with it's keyboard attached I use a Logitech Bluetooth laptop mouse.  For storage I'm using a 3 Terabyte NAS drive attached to my NetGear R6300 Router and I duplicate my photos and files on Microsoft SkyDrive for offsite storage.

I had a lot of trepidation going to only 4 Gb memory and a 128 Gb SSD Hard drive.  I was prepared to return it to the Microsoft Store here in Atlanta if it didn't work out.  For the way I work it turns out to be more than enough. 90% or more of what I do today uses only RAW processing.  I still have almost 70 Gb free on the SSD as my main storage is on the NAS drive and SkyDrive.

Using the built in Samsung S-Pen (Wacom) to edit directly on the screen with Photoshop is an absolute pleasure.

I'm using CS6 and couldn't be more pleased. Everything I do is, for all practical purposes, instantaneous.

It took me a few days to get comfortable with Windows 8 and at this point I'd never go back to W7.  Windows 8 is much faster and after adjusting to the new paradigm it is easier to use.  My computer boots from a cold start in under 5 seconds and shuts down in 2 seconds.  I can work with my photos in tablet mode while sitting with the family or anywhere I happen to travel and get 7 to 9 hours of battery life. My huge desktop clunker now sits unused.  I have found that I much prefer working at close range with my new 11.6" tablet over my old 24" desktop monitor.  Of course YMMV.
--
Gary Coombs, W9VJ
http://GaryCoombs.com
My Profile Plan contains my Equipment List
A good photograph is knowing where to stand. -Ansel Adams

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow