Just finished shooting a conference with the a99 and I am happy with it.

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kirk Tuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,929Gear list
Like?
Just finished shooting a conference with the a99 and I am happy with it.
Dec 14, 2012

I spent my week photographing a conference here in Austin with the a99. My observations are that the EVF makes this kind of work easier by showing you instantly, in the finder (EVF) whenever light or color balance start to change, how the image will be affected by the parameters you set and much more.

I didn't think I would be using the silent control dial on the front but it's very effective when set to exposure compensation mode. It lets you keep your shutter finger on the shutter button, ready to shoot while you use your left hand to control the variable. Now I find it second nature and quicker.

Love the locked mode dial.

Bought and used the HVL 60 flash and it worked perfectly with the camera. None of the unpredictable behavior I experienced with the HVL 58 and the a77.

The image quality is right in line with the Canon 5D mk3 (but I like the Sony colors better) and the Nikon D800 (minus the difference in resolution).

I would not recommend this SLT body for fast sports action because the finder lag, even with the review off, is too slow to follow fast action well. The a77 does a better job.

I wish I got more life from a battery but I understand the drain with live view all the time.

Anyway, I'm happy I used it for this conference. Its files inspire confidence.

-- hide signature --

Austin based advertising and portrait photographer, and author of the book series, Minimalist Lighting, and the books: Commercial Photographers Handbook, Photographic Lighting Equipment, and, LED Lighting for Digital Photographers. www.kirktuck.com

Kirk Tuck's gear list:Kirk Tuck's gear list
Nikon D2Xs Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D7100 Samsung Galaxy NX +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow