My 35mm F.1.4 very poor at grabbing focus indoors????

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tankbullock
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
My 35mm F.1.4 very poor at grabbing focus indoors????
Dec 14, 2012

I hope it's something I'm doing wrong this end but I bought an X-E1, X Pro1, 18-55mm & 35mm lens today and whilst the 18-55mm is pretty accurate focus wise, the 35mm lens on either body can get dumbfounded by pretty much anything in lower light. And by lower light, I don't mean really poor light, just indoors, still fairly decent light levels.

I have updated everything to the latest firmware but it is pretty poor. The weird thing is that it can go on a run of 5-10 shots grabbing focus quickly and without issue, but then it goes boob up on a face or something innate and it really struggles. No matter where I try to grab focus on the person, object, it can take 3, 5, sometimes 7 goes to find something it likes.

Not what I was expecting to be honest. Is this normal? Are any of the other focus modes more suitable for indoor photography? Any tips, pointers would be much appreciated.

Results (when I can get them) are stunning, but I won't keep the lens if this type of focus behaviour is par for the course.

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow