graphikal wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

graphikal wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

graphikal wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

graphikal wrote:

nelsonal wrote:

Your second comparison has the 28/1.8 at f/4 while the 28/2.8 is at f/2.8, sadly the latter still has more acuity and contrast especially away from the middle

Nah. It's really negligible, as anyone who has used cameras in the real world and noted the outcome can attest. Change to f/4-- still practically indistinguishable.

That was enough to tell me the new lens isn't too bad a deal

The new lens is a ginormously awful deal, for anyone who doesn't absolutely need IS, as no one really should in that lens. It's slightly optically improved over the old f/2.8 version, but there's no reason to pick it over the f/1.8.

No reason, besides the way better optics, you mean?

How could I mean that, when in this very thread I've provided hard proof that it's not the case? My eyes don't lie to me; maybe yours do.

@ f/2.8 @ f/4 @ f/8

Are you serious? Even these nonsensical TDP crops show just how bad that 28mm f1.8 USM is. In the center it is ok, but the mid and corners? Yikes. LOW in contrast. HIGH in CA. I bet its coma performance is bad too.

The 28mm f2.8 IS USM looks better, even in those nonsensical TDP crops.

I agree, the crops must seem nonsensical since they don't agree with your views. One of us has posted photographic proof; the other has spouted opinions. I'm happy enough just to point readers in the right direction.

Dude, the crops "agree with my views". They show just how much worse the 28mm f1.8 USM is. What are you smoking?

@ f/2.8 @ f/4 @ f/8

When any reader can see the truly negligible differences for themselves, and so clearly, you're stuffed. Thanks for playing, but in the future try to pick a defensible position. I am sure that these crops are "silly", etc. when they obliterate your position. All anyone has to do is mouse over the crops for a direct comparison. Misinformation helps no one, and proper courtesy would simply involve a retraction by you.

Dear person, how can you keep on saying the differences are small, when what you are showing shows crazy big differences between the lenses, optically? Are you a troll by profession by any chance? It just makes no sense at all...

The crops you show show a bad performance from the 28mm f1.8 compared to the 28mm f2.8 IS USM.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow