Fuji X-E1 White Balance Concerns

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
David Hardaway
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?
Fuji X-E1 White Balance Concerns - FOLLOWUP - HAPPY with X-E1
In reply to David Hardaway, Dec 14, 2012

I want to thank everyone who has made positive contributions and posted ideas on this thread.

I think I have the concern addressed and identified. Below is and image from two different X-E1 cameras (my friend loaned me his as we bought them at the same time) Left top and bottom all settings same Provia STD sharp +2 AWB shift 0 all other settings at zero with metering at default.

The cameras performed identically as I would expect and was glad to know 100% that they were in fact performing as designed. The image top and bottom right are the same two cameras same settings but AWB shifted +3Blue.

The image on the right is correct in that it represents the actual way the image looks to the eye. Now, I understand that some prefer a yellow look. But I can tell from looking at sample images from many places that default provia no shift had yellow casts. I now believe that it is related to the difference in light based on geographic location latitude relation to the equator. Meaning... the sample images I have been reviewing were either in Japan and northern Japan, Sweden and other places much further north of south Texas. This is important in that the angle of the sun and the temperature of the light is indeed cooler when shooting in northern climates. All of the sample images I have seen from X-E1 owners that are in the south have had that yellow cast. So...I am going out on a limb here... just my guess... that the provia film emulation was designed by color engineers that tested it in geographic region further north away from equator. So.. right or wrong I have a solution to my problem and have proved 100% that it wasn't specific to my camera. I shot plenty of samples with that simple awb shift and it seems to work everywhere.

Regards,
David
www.photographybydmichael.com

David Hardaway's gear list:David Hardaway's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow