Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CameraNocturnis
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Why I came to hate my RX100...with good reason :/
Dec 14, 2012

I bought my rx a couple of weeks ago while on vacation in paris and right on the first day the trouble started.

Got to the hotel, charged the camera, read through the manual, configured the camera to my liking  popped a 32gb sandisk SD card in and went out into the city to start taking pictures....or so I thought.

My first stop was the Eifel Tower where it took me 5 minutes to fire off the first shot. Every time I switched on the camera, I got an error message saying "Camera cannot read memory card". Even ejecting and reinserting the memory card didnt help.....but I was still hopeful and thought it might just be a faulty card so I went to the nearest electronic store and bought another SD card.

The new card worked for about 5 shots and then the same issue came up again.

I went back to the Sony center where, luckily they agreed to give me a replacement camera on the spot, this camera worked better but every now and then when I turned the camera on the same issue would arrise but usually if I popped the memory card out and back in again and restarted the camera it would work.

This week the camera started playing up again majorly with exactly the same issue, I'm on vacation in germany and while at a beautiful christmas market at night, the camera simply wouldnt accept the memory card. I tried 3 other cards which I keep on me knowing that the camera hasd issues in the past...all from different manufacturers and different sizes....same issue....3 out of 5 times the camera simply wont access the memory card on startup.....only after fiddling the battery in and out several times and ejecting and reinserting the memory cards just as often it would eventually work.

what a pain in the neck this camera is.....yes yes amazing specs and performance on paper...but the usability and reliability in my experience is absolutely hopeless. On top of this extremely annoying memory card issue the camera sometimes just freezes on power on or off, where the display goes black but the lens doesn't retract into the body. So far no firmware upgrade from Sony either :/

At least Adobe Camera Raw for Photoshop now supports the sony raw format for the rx100 because the digital image converter software is the most unstable, sluggish and worst written piece of software I have ever come across on a mac...and I used to work with OS 9.

Over the years I owned point and shoots from many manufacturers, nikon coolpix, canon ixus, casio exilims....but the rx100 definitely takes the useless cake in my book.

I'm now on the 3rd replacement body from Sony and still exactly the same issues....am I just unlucky or are other rx100 users experienceing the same frustration ?

-- hide signature --

Cinematographer, Photographer, RED EPIC Owner.
http://www.blacksun-productions.com

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow