Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
neilm16
Regular MemberPosts: 354
Like?
GF5 or LX7?
Dec 14, 2012

iI have posted this on the Panasonic Compact forum aswell just to get a view from both sides if possible.

I live in the UK and I have been pondering on purchasing the LX7 for some time and was getting very close to purchasing one. The main stumbling block so far has been the price! Around £359 or £268 imported from HK.

I previously owned a GF2 which was ok but the jpeg images especially, appeared to be quite dull colour wise. Not a huge problem and once PP they looked fine. I sold the GF2 thinking that I may prefer an LX7 but what concerned me was the smaller sensor and whether there would be a significant drop off in IQ.

However to confuse things in the last 2 weeks prices of the GF5 have now dropped lower than the LX7 including £30 cashback taking the price down to £269 which is making me have another think!

I already have a G2 and have the 14mm 2.5 Lens which appears to be very sharp as does the 14-45mm which I also have, so I guess I am asking for some guidance on the following.

Given the different sensor sizes will the f1.4 lens found on the LX7 be that much of an improvement over the GF5 with the 14mm f2.5 or will the larger sensor of the GF5 effectively counter any perceived improvement?

The GF5 has a number of useful features including a touchscreen but many of the internals including filters and effects appear to be the same across both cameras!?

In terms of size, not having seen them side by side I would imagine they are similar with the 14mm 2.5 attached to the GF5? In fact the GF5 maybe slightly smaller overall?

The pros and cons of both cameras keep going backwards and forwards but of course I assume with the GF5 I would be able to crop images much more easily if I wanted and opt for canvas sized prints without any worry of details loss etc? But I am assuming this is not quite as easy or achievable with the LX7?

From the LX7 owners perspective is there anything you think that makes the LX7 stand out above and beyond the GF5?

It’s such a difficult decision and I really appreciate your feedback.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow