What would I gain from FX?

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeff Loughlin
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
Re: What would I gain from FX?
In reply to Stacey_K, Dec 14, 2012

Of course it depends on what you shoot - for landscapes or indoors in tight quarters, FX gives you the advantage of a wider field of view.  If your shooting style would benefit from that, then FX is something you should consider.  It also gives you better low-light capability, so if you do a lot of shooting in dark places, then FX would help you there as well.

One thing that's rarely mentioned, but important for those of us with..ahem...aging eyes...the viewfinder in the FX cameras provides a much bigger view - for me, that was the biggest reason I switched, and it makes a world of difference.  I can see what I'm photographing now.  If your eyes are good, that might not matter for you, but it's what sealed the deal for me.

On the other hand, you give up the smallness and lightness of a DX body and lenses, and DX can be useful for extra reach without cropping, if you do a lot of telephoto work.

You really need to think about what you mostly shoot, and whether or not FX will help with that, before you come to a decision.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

Jeff

http://www.pbase.com/jeff_loughlin

Jeff Loughlin's gear list:Jeff Loughlin's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow