Thoughts on a new printer?

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Cyril Catt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,882
Like?
Re: Thoughts on a new printer?
In reply to john10001, Dec 14, 2012

You have to decide your own priorities.

I like to be able to print both sides especially with text, so duplexing is a major plus. I use a cheap Brother HL-2270DW laser for most of my text printing.

I don't do much photo printing; need relatively frequent scanning (often from books, so a flat platen is a priority, and auto feeding is seldom needed). I also find an inbuilt memory card slot convenient. So last week, when my previous printer died, I chose a Canon MG6250, as it included a grey ink - to make better black & white prints - as well as the black, cyan, magenta, and yellow for colour pictures; a pigment based black for archival documents;  - and it was on sale at half price.

Although it does a good enough job for my needs, I am annoyed that its manual is not a printed one, nor even a sequentially paginated pdf, but a pdf divided into numerous unpaginated scrollable sections within sections, each written with numerous provisos and warnings, without an index. So it is difficult to quickly find the appropriate section and to digest it when found. It is also written primarily with Windows OS in mind, and does not appear to cater for the most recent Mac OSs.

In making my choice, it seemed to me that Canon had a range of printers from low cost personal ones to more expensive office models, but Epson appears to have concentrated more on printers especially for photographers, with somewhat more expensive models with a greater number of ink cartridges to cover a greater range of colour nuances and paper sizes.

Cyril Catt

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow