Elements 11 won't start on Windows 8 - anyone else?

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AntonyJ
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
Elements 11 won't start on Windows 8 - anyone else?
Dec 14, 2012

I just rebuilt my PC as the machine was suffering random hardware crashes. So I took the opportunity to migrate to Windows 8 (with a format and clean install, not upgrade) and also upgrade a few other bits, e.g Elements from 8 to 11. Most stuff works, but Elements 11 just refuses to start.

Running the Elements launcher does nothing (it fails before anything appears). Running the Editor directly from the Program File folder shows the splash screen, but then Windows shows a dialogue saying the app has crashed. I've tried compatibility mode and running as admin (it throws a UAC dialogue, which is odd for an app designed to run as a normal user under Windows 8).

The Event Viewer shows the crash coming from the call to ntdll.dll:

PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe
505d12ab
ntdll.dll
505aaa82
c0000005
0004f7d5
f78
01cdd9e7f71d02bf
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 11\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe
C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
38b995ea-45db-11e2-be75-50465d517d2b

My other software works fine, including Lightroom 4.3 and Reader XI, so it's not a general Adobe or Windows problem.

I've searched around, but there's not much help out there. There were suggestions to delete the contents of the User/AppData/Roaming/Adobe folder, but that didn't help. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't change anything. I even downloaded the trial version from Adobe to see if that was more recent than the DVD, but it seems to be the same version number (from 22nd September 2012) and suffers the same issue.

So, has anyone else got this software to work on Windows 8 Pro? If so, did it "just work", or did you have to do anything?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow