$1950 for 70-200G (display model) from Sony.. or wait..

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Questions thread
copejorg1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,625
Like?
Re: $1950 for 70-200G (display model) from Sony.. or wait..
In reply to rithex, Dec 14, 2012

rithex wrote:

I'm itching to buy a nice longer zoom to go with my 16-50 SSM, I currently just have the junky SAL55200 which i picked up for $98 (I have an A65)

Looking for thoughts if should I pick up a floor demo 70-200G from the Sony store for $1950 CDN?

I was tossing around the idea of the 70-200G, 70-400G or possibly waiting out for January CES for any revamps..

I was also entertaining the idea of waiting for the new Sigma 120-300 2.8..

So my options are

a) buy the 70-200G

b)wait for jan CES for any possible new G lenses/revamps

c) nix all 3 and wait for the new Sigma 120-300 F2.8 to get released

Thoughts?

The "new" (yet-to-be-released) Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 is a refinement of the one they currently sell.  From all accounts, it's a wonderful lens -- but it isn't available in Sony's A-mount.  I haven't heard anything suggesting the new one will be, either.  We'll just have to wait and see, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Another one to keep an eye on is the new Tamron 70-200 f/2.8.  This one will be released in Sony mount, although not equipped with the optical image stabilization feature of the Canon- and Nikon-mount versions.  Preliminary user reports are that this lens (currently available in Canon-mount only) is as sharp as any others currently out there -- right up there with the latest Canon and Nikon models, and also equipped with an ultrasonic AF motor featuring full-time manual override (unusual for a Tamron).

The Tamron lens should be a good bit lower in price than even the floor demo of the Sony 70-200 (and certainly less than a new Sony 70-200 or 70-400), and about half the price of the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 (if indeed that one even becomes available in the Sony mount).  But keep in mind, a 70-200 f/2.8, a 70-400 variable-aperture (f/5.6 at the long end) and a 120-300 f/2.8 are all very different lenses, with very different characteristics and "personalities".  Each is a good lens in its own way, but they excel at different things (and have widely varying price tags).

My advice would be to think hard about which of these lenses would best suit your own style of photography before making a decision (unless you're rich enough to just get all of them), and, if possible, to be patient.  If you conclude that a 70-200 f/2.8 would be best for you, it might be worth waiting a couple of months for the new Tamron to become available in the Sony mount, so that you can at least evaluate it against competing models (Sony and Sigma 70-200s) before committing to one over the others.

Regards,

Greg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow