Using mirror (or M42) lenses in TAv mode.

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,939
Like?
Using mirror (or M42) lenses in TAv mode.
Dec 13, 2012

Hi folks,

My goal is to try to catch a bird in flight using mirror lenses on the K-01. I want proper exposure instantly no matter where I point the lens, therefore I don't want to use M mode. I can set the ISO in Av mode but then the speed changes as I point in different directions. I want to use TAv mode so I can set my speed constant and have ISO float. TAv mode cannot be done (without a trick) on the K-01 (or the K-5) when using constant aperture mirror lenses or M42 lenses.

So, here is the trick: Short the "A" pin on the camera with aluminum foil. Set the camera to M mode. Set ISO to Auto. Now you should be in TAv mode. The aperture will probably read f1.2, if it doesn't read the fastest possible then adjust it for the fastest possible. Adjust to your desired speed. Now the only thing that will float is the ISO. So, for instance I set my speed to 640 (or faster) and my aperture to f1.2 when I am using my Tamron 500/8 Adaptall 2 mirror lens. Now I can have enough speed to try to shoot at a bird in flight. I will also use an LCD Viefinder loupe on the K-01. Note: The aperture reading of f1.2 is meaningless so don't worry about it.

The main problem is trying to get the "A" pin shorted with aluminum foil.

Anyway, it works if anyone wants to try it out. I will try to shoot a BIF soon if I can.

Have fun.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow