Very disappointed with Canon T4i (650D) - over-exposed/washed out pictures

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ProtoPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 974Gear list
Like?
Learning To Use Your Camera
In reply to Omni88, Dec 13, 2012

Omni88 wrote:

This kind of confirms that this isn't entirely my fault as many others in the thread have noted. I am taking a high degree of blame for not adjusting settings before hand... but I am still of the belief that even though the 650D is a fairly expensive camera with a multitude of settings to control the picture taking experience... that this camera at "minimum" I should be able to turn the camera on, potentially set it to Auto/Landscape/Sports or other, and expect to get a half-decent picture as opposed to overexposed pictures in these modes. There are many times in the picture taking experience where we "don't" have the luxury of playing with settings for a couple of minutes before taking a picture and previewing how changing those settings are affecting the final outcome of that photo. Something immediate which is happening now, and only for a few seconds (an animal runs across the path in front of you)... and you want that picture... a person doesn't have a couple of minutes of luxury time to view/review and change a bunch of settings. In this particular case, you'd want the camera to be as much of a point-and-shot as possible, and that you won't get an overexposed picture.

Look at this as a wonderful opportunity to learn how to use your expensive new toy.

1. Canon is very specific about what beginners are supposed to do when they have bright light and shadows in the same frame, which was your problem in every case. Brand new for the Rebel line in the T4i, is the HDR Backlight Control on your mode dial, which automatically takes 3 exposures and combines them in-camera. You already know landscape, sports and macro, now just remember that bright light and shadow mean you move dial another couple of clicks, and you get 2012 technology that is better than any of your previous cameras ever were in that situation.

2. If you look at the manual carefully, Canon is also very specific about what you are supposed to do in any challenging situation even in green box or basic modes - look at the image in Live View to check it out, before snapping, which is what I suggested you do earlier in this thread.

3. Canon is also very specific in the manual about what to do in bright sunlight when using Live View- crank the LCD brightness up to maximum of 7, the one with the big sun by it. Are you doing that outdoors, maybe putting your left hand above the screen to shade it a bit?

4. Per the manual, what Canon really wants you to do if you aren't happy with Scene Intelligent / Green Box, is to do exactly what I also suggested earlier in this thread. Go to a Basic Zone mode (assuming you don't want to deal with Creative Zone PASM), such as Creative Auto, Landscape, Portrait, etc. Quickly flick on Live View with your thumb. Everything good? If not, move your thumb down to the Q menu, tap it, and change to brighter or darker, or whatever else you want to modify, they make it very simple with three levels of strength, and you can watch the effect of the change in real time on Live View. This is a matter of a few seconds, not several minutes while working through a number of settings.

5. The above should almost always work, if not, you can also choose RAW or JPG +RAW even in auto or basic zone for just those of your photos that are problematic.

ProtoPhoto's gear list:ProtoPhoto's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow