Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HarryPutnam
Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?
Documentation or tutorial: Using HVL-F58am off camera with A65
Dec 13, 2012

Googling around to get a start on how to use an HVL-F58am in off camera mode and triggering with the A65 flash, I find quite a lot of info and some inconsistent with others.

I hoped to get  a leg up on the technique by getting someone here to describe in outline how such a setup works. Also a pointer to some specific online source or documentation that is held in high regard.

I've never been around a pro or semi-pro shooting and never really seen various lighting techniques in use, so a basic outline of how to go about shooting some portrait like shots of children, singly and in groups in a day care setting would really be helpful.

I mean such things as whether I'd need a wireless trigger application... or whether my A65 can handle that...   and other really basic stuff.

I have 3 par cans and an HVL-F58am (with diffusion bonnet, or will have, in the case of the flash stuff) and one home made sort of floodlight that is a frosted glass with one of those twirly florescent bulbs in it, put into one of those home depot trouble light type aluminum funnel looking things with a clamp.  The funnel is bigger than usual.

And, of course the built in flash.  But I kind of thought it might be best to tape that over to avoid that "deer in headlights" look.  Or maybe tape some white paper over it?

Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow