Very disappointed with Canon T4i (650D) - over-exposed/washed out pictures

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
10s
10s
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?
Re: V.disappointed T4i (650D) washed out pictures INDICATES inexperience and incorrect assumptions
In reply to Omni88, Dec 13, 2012

This kind of confirms that this isn't entirely my fault as many others in the thread have noted. I am taking a high degree of blame for not adjusting settings before hand... but I am still of the belief that even though the 650D is a fairly expensive camera with a multitude of settings to control the picture taking experience... that this camera at "minimum" I should be able to turn the camera on, potentially set it to Auto/Landscape/Sports or other, and expect to get a half-decent picture as opposed to overexposed pictures in these modes.

I had a look through the pictures I took on a trip to Barcelona recently. They were shot using RAW. I looked them over in DPP because the default exposure is then very similar to the JPEG processing on the camera. Most of them were correctly exposed by the default Canon rendering. However - in DPP some images were also like your beach photo - blow out highlights.

Here's an example: this one was made almost on full auto: P mode, no highlight-tone-priority, ALO=Standard, No exposure compensation:

Save from DPP - no settings changed

Same image, ALO switched off

Processed with Lightroom 4

Switching off ALO setting did nothing significant on the blown out highlights. HTP would have helped plus a little under-exposure.

I do understand that you don't want to put that much time in post processing as I do. If all your images over-expose something is indeed wrong with the exposure calibration. In my case only some images got over exposed. So it seems like the default JPEG settings are not quite optimal in high contrast situations.

Thanks for your post. I learned something for my movie making since that relies on the in-camera processing. I turned on HTP to mitigate the risk of blow-out highlights.

Regards,

10s

10s's gear list:10s's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow