Ok, finally decided to load Win 8 and have some concerns.

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kcbeatty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,761
Like?
Ok, finally decided to load Win 8 and have some concerns.
Dec 13, 2012

I decided I needed to look at Win 8 for myself to see what was actually going on.  I used a PC in my office that my scanner and R1800 is connected to.  I don't actually use this PC most of the time so it made a good candidate for the test.

The install, loaded as an upgrade, went of very well.  I didn't have a lot of programs loaded on this PC but everything worked when the upgrade was finished.  All devices and software were running when it finished.

Now for the part I don't like, my login process bothers me.  I decided to follow the yellow brick road that most non-tech normal users would do.  I allowed it to guide me in setting up my user account.  It asked me for my windows login and after a few minutes I figured out that it wanted my windows on-line login account.  So I did as requested and the PC finished setting up and came up on-line.  So not only was I logged into the local PC but also into my windows live account.  This really bothers me but I will use it for a while to see how things go.

The peer to peer networking was the next challenge but it finally came around and I can use the printer from my other PCs.

Question to you is, did windows 8 allow you to set up a local account with no connection to Microsoft on-line?  It bothers me that this leaves an exploit for the average user to be fully tracked on-line and off-line.

My main workstation does work on-line and connected to Windows Live as I use Microsoft Technet a lot and I use the Windows Live email client.

I'm wondering what other users have experienced.

-- hide signature --

I wise man once told me that "Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect "
Kevin

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow