Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alnitak
Contributing MemberPosts: 635
Like?
Sigma 39 f/1.4 or Nikon 85mm f/1.8??
Dec 13, 2012

I find myself with about $300 to spend and am looking at both of these lenses (used). Which would you choose and why? (Currently shooting a D300s.)

Some additional background...I have had in the past the Nikon 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and 85mm f/1.4 (I sold the f/1.8 to move up to this). When I needed money, I ended up selling all of my primes (never should have gotten rid of the 85mm f/1.4!), and am now thinking of adding one or two to my collection again.

I like the 30mm for indoor family/people shots and school plays and such, though concerned the perspective may not be good for portraits (or candids from shoulder up on individuals). I like the 85mm range for portraits, though the bokeh of the f/1.8 D leaves a little to be desired, and as a small, mid-range tele for landscape. I am concerned that I will once again yearn for the f/1.4 version, so wonder if I should just save up for that.

I currently have the Nikon 16-85 and 70-200 VR1, and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (plus a few other assorted older manual lenses).

So, what say the collective wisdom of the group? Any other lenses I should consider (like the 35mm f/1.8 G for less money)?

Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow