Seeking Tips for Dance Performance Shoot

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Catalana
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128Gear list
Like?
Re: Seeking Tips for Dance Performance Shoot
In reply to jfriend00, Dec 13, 2012

I am in Thailand at the moment, and had the opportunity to shoot some dancers during the festival period of the King's birthday. The points that jfriend00made are pretty much my experience, although ballet should be a more challenging experience, unless you are going to focus on just one dancer for most of the time, or are far back and static.

D600, 1/500sec, F2.8, ISO 400, -0.67EV (Exposure tuning -1/6), Center weighted metering, shot with the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D ED @ 185mm. WB was on auto. PP was applied to the jpeg.

This shot might be representative of what you can expect at ISO 400. The dancer was well lighted and not moving fast. However, at 20-30 feet and the zoom extended far, you cannot expect a lot of DOF. A tele-converter will be much shallower. I was resting my elbows at the edge of the stage, so a mono-pod will be a minimum requirement in the aisle. If you don't need to move, a tripod will probably yield the best results. Unlikely for a live performance, unless you have been relegated to the far back. I was lucky in that respect, but this is Thailand.

Catalana's gear list:Catalana's gear list
Pentax K-5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow