LOSING MY TAIL...SO TO SPEAK

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,036Gear list
Like?
I think the obvious answer is...
In reply to vetphoto, Dec 13, 2012

I think the obvious answer is using one of the outer focus points to minimize the need to focus and recompose.  With the 400 f5.6 lens you do not have the advantage of the highest precision focus points anyway, so I don't think you'll even notice any difference in most cases compared to using the center point and hoping you have time to recompose before the bird moves or flies away.

I've shot thousands of bird photos myself and I typically use one of the outer points when shooting in portrait orientation.

In the older days I used to focus/recompose with my original Canon 10d, but it only had a few focus points so using one of the outer ones was NOT very easy because there weren't many of them anyway.  So using an outer focus point meant also needing to focus and recompose with that focus point as well.   With as many focus points as you have on the 7d, I think it's a no-brainer to use one of the outer focus points.  Continuing to use center point focus/recompose will cause you to lose more shots than you get because the subject moves before you fire.

Currently I use outer focus points in portrait orientation for birds with all my cameras: 7D, 1D Mk4, and now the 1Dx (as of yesterday).

Try it and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Good luckĀ 

Tim

vetphoto wrote:

I have an origional 5D and love the camera. I recently acquired a 7D. Here is the problem: The 7D has a very small view finder compaired to the 5D. I use center point focus in both cameras with center point spot in the 7D normally. I shoot wildllife and birds. my go to lens is the 400f5.6. With a bird the size of a Northern Cardinal, for example, with the spot on the eye using the 7D the tail is not captured at common distances that I shoot. I know about focus lock and recomposing but we are talking birds here that are not still long. The option that I see as a viable one is selecting the uppermost focus point, any other thoughts. Small birds are difficult to locate rapidly in that small vf as well,[I think that will get better with time / practice] I am spoiled to the larger vf and sensor. Ideas and suggestions are very welcome. Dr.C

-- hide signature --

At Home on the Range---Texas Panhandle

TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow